SHINE aims to make a real difference to the lives of children from low-income homes in the North of England
For all children to leave school with real choices in their future lives. We believe that children should be given the best possible chances in education, no matter what their backgrounds or starting points.
To raise the attainment of children from disadvantaged backgrounds across the Northern Powerhouse. We do this by supporting innovations in education which have the potential to transform education outcomes for the most disadvantaged children.
Why we exist
• To unlock the potential of children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
• To build belief that change can happen and that the attainment gap can be narrowed.
• To act as a catalyst for change, bringing others with us.
Who we support
• Children from disadvantaged backgrounds who need support to achieve their best at school.
• Teachers across England with bright new ideas to tackle the attainment gap nationally.
• Schools in the Northern Powerhouse who want to support great quality learning for their teachers as well as students.
How we support
• Open grants programmes where applicants approach us for funding.
• Proactive targeting of specific regions or issues.
• Collaborations with other funders where our priorities are aligned.
• Helping teachers develop their skills and expertise.
Our core principles
• SHINE is passionate about supporting great teachers to change children’s lives.
• SHINE cares deeply about giving children fair chances to succeed.
• SHINE applies business skills to education, using rigorous analysis and judgement to make the best possible investments.
• SHINE’s trustees pay for the operating costs of the charity so that 100% of all donations go to supporting the children who need it most.
Our values guide our decisions on the people we employ, the grants we give and our relationships with all our key stakeholders
We care deeply about making the biggest difference we can. Everything we do is guided by a shared commitment to achieving change.
We evaluate our own practice and share our learning with the outside world. We share our successes and we are transparent when things don’t work. Innovative: We embrace change and take considered risks. We constantly strive for new and better ways of doing things. Our processes, plans and activities are always adapting to improve.
Success relies on relationships founded on mutual trust and respect. We draw on diverse skills, experiences and perspectives to deliver best value for children.
We aspire to the highest standards of professionalism and transparency in what we do. We are accountable to our donors, supporters and peers. We honour our commitments and obligations to others.