Marking made fun: encouraging students to self-assess their work and develop their confidence in answering exam questions.
The big idea
To make an interactive revision session that allows GCSE and A-Level students to play the role of the examiner.
Elisabeth found that attendance to revision sessions was virtually non-existent. She believes this is due to students having low confidence, and for fear of showing their peers that they have fallen behind. When talking to her colleagues, she realised that many teachers feel that marking exams takes up a lot of valuable time. Elisabeth decided to think outside the box and, with the help of SHINE funding, came up with an innovative way to approach exam questions.
Elisabeth has seen a significant improvement in the confidence of her students in understanding what makes a high scoring answer.
- Her students are now able to confidently answer exam questions
- Her high-achieving students are now achieving the higher grades, a significant improvement for her college, which averages a grade 4 (equivalent to a C)
- Students have reported feeling more confident in answering exam questions, and they feel more able to approach exams in other subjects using this method
- Teachers have saved valuable marking time as the students have taken greater responsibility for their own marking
- The group activity helps students to realise they are not alone in their anxiety surrounding exams
Elisabeth hopes to share her project with other schools, both to help students with their understanding of exams, and to help relieve teachers’ workload around marking.